HAJJ & UMRAH (STEP BY STEP)
In this article the procedure to wear Ihram and to perform the rites of Hajj and Umrah are presented in a simplified way. Also included is the procedure to visit the Holy Prophet (pbuh)’s Tomb and his Mosque.
|1) Preparations for Ihram. Comb your hair, shape the beard, trim your mustache, cut your nails, and remove unwanted body hair.
2) Purification. Take a bath with the intention of Ihram otherwise do wudu. Here it is noted that there are two ways of purification:
3) Ihram Sheets. Men should wear a sheet of white cloth around the waist and cover the upper body with the other sheet. Women’s ordinary clothes are their Ihram. Both should wear the flip-flops (hawai chappal) so that the middle bones of the upper part of the feet are not covered.
4) Nafl Salah. If it is not makruh (undesirable) time, offer two rakahs of nafl for Ihram by covering your heads.
5) Advice. If going to Jeddah by an airplane, it is convenient to get into the status of Ihram inside the plane. Here is what you do. Do everything at home or at the airport except Niyyah (intention) and Talbiyah. Have your shower, pray two rakahs of nafl but you are still not in the status of ihram because you haven’t done the main thing yet, i.e., intention and Talbiyah which is done at or before the boundary line called Miqat.
6) Intention and Talbiyah. Now uncover your head and declare your intention. It is assumed that you are performing Hajj al-Tammat’u in which Umrah is performed first as described later in the “Kinds of Hajj”.
“O Allah! I intend to perform Umrah. Please make it easy for me and accept it from me. Amen.”
|7) Du’a. After this recite Darud Sharif and supplicate to Allah Almighty any du’a in Arabic or in your own language.
8) Prohibitions of Ihram. After intention and Talbiyah, you are in the status of Ihram and from this time on you should not do acts that are forbidden in Ihram , for example, here are some of the things a muhrim must not do:
a) Cover head (men), cover face (women)
9) Journey towards Makkah. When this sacred journey towards Makkah al-Mukarrama starts, recite Talbiyah frequently on the way. Then enter the city very humbly and with great fondness still reciting Talbiyah.
HOW TO PERFORM UMRAH
a) Entering the state of Ihram
IHRAM FOR UMRAH AND ENTERING MASJID AL-HARAM
1) Ihram: You should be already in Ihram for Umrah before entering Mecca as mentioned above.
2) Entering Masjid al-Haram: While reciting Talbiyah, enter Masjid al-Haram preferably through Bab
Allah huma aftah li abwabe rahmate ka
3) First Sight: At the first sight of Ka’bah, keep your eyes fixed at Baitullah and standing at one side, it is suggested that you do the following:
a) Say Allahu Akbar three times
The idea is to praise and glorify your Creator before proclaiming Darud and supplications. Therefore, in lieu of Allahu Akbar and La Ilaha Illallah, you may recite some other similar holy verses if you so desire. After this, while uttering Talbiyah, move forward to perform Tawaf of Ka’bah.
TAWAF OF UMRAH
1) Preparation: Pass the upper sheet of Ihram from underneath the right arm and put it on the left shoulder. This act bares the right shoulder and is known as Iztaba. Ablutions (vudu) is essential for tawaf. Reciting of Talbiyah is stopped when you reach Hajar-e- Aswad, the starting point of tawaf.
2) Niyyah (Intention): Stand in front of Ka’bah facing Hajar-e-Aswad (the Black Stone) in such a way that the whole Hajre-e-Aswad is on your right side. To achieve this end, you may get help from the black stripe on the floor. This stripe should be on your right side. Then without raising your hands make Niyyah (intention) for Umrah:
3) Istilam: Now moving towards right, come in front of Hajar-e-Aswad and kiss it if possible, or touch it with a stick and kiss the stick; if that also is not possible, raise your hands to your ears keeping your open
palms towards Hajre-e-Aswad and say:
and drop your hands down. Now point the palms of your hands again towards Hajar-e- Aswad and kiss them. This act of kissing Hajar-e-Aswad or pointing towards it is called Istilam.
4) Tawaf Starts: After Istilam, turn right and start tawaf counter clockwise.
5) Ramal: For the first three circuits of Tawaf of Umrah and Tawaf of Arrival, men are required to move their shoulders and walk with quick short steps. This act is called Ramal and is Sunnah. They walk normally during the remaining four circuits.
6) Supplications of Tawaf: There are no fixed supplications for tawaf but there are several recommended supplications listed in the books of Hajj and Umrah out of which the following supplication is easy to memorize:
If you don’t remember these words, you may glorify Allah by repeatedly uttering:
The Prophet of Islam (peace be upon him) has said that there are two kalimahs that are light on tongue and (on the day of judgment) they weigh heavy on the scale (Mizan) and are liked by Allah. These kalimahs are:
7) Hatim: Hatim is a semi-circular half-built portion which was originally a part of the Ka’bah but which could not be included in the main structure when the Ka’bah was rebuilt. It is obligatory to go around Hatim also while performing tawaf.
8) Rukn Yamani and its Supplications: After passing the three corners of the Ka’bah you reach the fourth corner known as Rukn Yamani.There is a beautiful supplication to be used while walking between Rukn Yamani and Hajar-e-Aswad:
9) Seven Circuits: At Hajar-e-Aswad, start the second circuit by kissing it or pointing towards it as you started the first circuit, i.e., come in front of Hajar-e-Aswad, raise both hands to your ears with open palms towards it and say:
10) The End of Tawaf: At the end of seven circuits, do Istilam of Hajar-e- Aswad or point towards it eighth time which is Sunnat Mu’akidah. Also say:
11) Iztaba Finished : Now Iztaba is finished, therefore, you cover your both shoulders with upper portion of the Ihram sheet. This does not apply to women.
12) Multazam: Now, come to Multazam which is a place five or six feet in length between Hajar-e-Aswad and the door of Ka’bah. This is a highly sacred place where prayers are accepted. Among a large crowd of people, if it is possible to reach Multazam, cling to it pressing your chest and cheeks, and while trembling and crying with devotion and with all humility seek Allah’s mercy, His blessings and ask Him whatever you wish. If you are unable to come close to Multazam, just face towards it and supplicate from a distance.
13) Maqam Ibrahim: Next offer two rakahs of nafls behind and close to Maqam Ibrahim without covering
14) Zamzam: Now go to Zamzam well situated in the basement of the Haram about 200 feet from the Ka’bah’s door. There are separate portions for men and women. Zamzam is the best available water in the world. Drink this water to fill while in standing position saying Bismillah. Then supplicate to Allah:
HOW TO PERFORM SA’EY
2) Start of Sa’ey at Safa. Climb the hill of Safa and make intention (niyyah) for Sa’ey:
3) Proceed towards Marwah. Come down from Safa and move towards Marwah while reciting this supplication:
4) At Marwah. When on top of marwah, praise Allah facing the Ka’bah and repeat the same supplications that were recited at Safa. One trip is over, second trip will be on Safa and third trip will be on Marwah.
5) End of Sa’ey. In the same way, the seventh trip will end at Marwah. In all trips the men will run between the green pillars but the women will walk in a normal way.
6) Two raka’at Nafl. If it is not an undesirable (Makrooh) time, offer two raka’ats of nafl in the al-Haram.
7) Shaving or clipping of hair. After Sa’ey, men should get their heads completely shaved or get their hair clipped to the length of the upper third of their finger or a little more. Both shaving and clipping are permissible for men, though shaving is preferable. Women are, however, allowed to have a lock of their hair clipped. They are forbidden to shave their heads.
8) Umrah is complete. After cutting the hair, umrah is complete. The restrictions of Ihram are finished. Now wear your everyday clothes and lead a normal life. Be thankful to Allah that He provided the opportunity for performing Umrah and lead rest of your life according to the commands of your Creator.